Funding Options for Dreamers

Undocumented Student In–State Tuition Rate

Undocumented students who have resided in Washington State for the three years immediately prior to receiving a high school diploma (or its equivalent) at a Washington school can pay in-state tuition at state colleges and universities. You must complete and submit the Washington Higher Education Residency, or HB 1079, affidavit available from admissions.

Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA)

If you are a Dreamer student, your undocumented status makes you ineligible to apply for federal financial aid. However, the Washington Student Achievement Council has provided a new state application for you. This free application–known as the Washington Application for State Financial Aid, or the WASFA–allows you to apply for student financial aid in Washington State.

Once you complete a WASFA, Seattle Central College can use the financial information provided in the application to determine your eligibility to receive the State Need Grant, State Work Study and other funding that may be available.

WASFA Program Requirements:

  • Meet Washington state residency requirements
  • Graduated from a Washington high school or obtained a GED®
  • Lived in Washington for 3 years prior to (and continuously since) earning their high school diploma or equivalent
  • Signed an affidavit (written promise) to file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States when eligible to apply

If you do not yet meet these requirements, you may sign an affidavit (written promise) stating that you will file an application to become a permanent resident of the United States as soon as you are eligible to apply.

*Please note that the information provided by you to the institution and the WASFA is protected and will not be shared with a third party, since it is protected through FERPA.

Complete the WASFA application.

Other Funding Support

Dreamers may be eligible for other funding resources through Washington State, Seattle Central College and other programs.

These lists contains possible funds that do not require you to have a social security number, U.S. citizenship or permanent residency:

  • MALDEF – Latino Legal Voice for Civil Rights in America
  • SALEF – Salvadoran American Leadership & Educational Fund
  • Washboard – Additional scholarships for which you may be eligible

Back to the Top