Learning Center Seattle
Learning Center Seattle helps learners improve their lives through one–on–one education advocacy and case management services as well as tuition–free college. Our instructors, case manager, education advocates and tutors can help you at every step of the way – from completing your GED®, to finishing your degree or technical training, and even finding employment. Learning Center Seattle is an Open Doors 1418 youth reengagement program.
At Learning Center Seattle, you'll find the tools you need to succeed both in and out of the classroom.
The Learning Center Seattle program is free of charge to eligible students, who are 16 to 21 years old and have not completed high school but want to earn their GED® to go on to college, technical training and/or start a career. The Learning Center Seattle program provides the following services and resources to students:
- Free preparation for the GED® and college entrance exams (COMPASS, Wonderlic)
- Free vouchers to take the the GED® pre–tests, GED® official tests, and college entrance exams
- 3 hours of instruction each day, Monday through Friday
- Learn–at–your–own–pace college atmosphere
- One–on–one attention from Seattle Central College faculty members and AmeriCorps tutoring support
- Employment support and social services through a King County Case Manager
- Preparation to enter college through Seattle Education Access Education Advocates
- For those enrolling with a prior GED® certificate, students will work with an AmeriCorps tutor to prepare for their college entrance exams and Seattle Education Access to create and complete a college readiness plan before college
- Tuition–free college to attend any of the Seattle Colleges
- College Navigation through an Education Advocate through Seattle Education Access
- Free services through a Case Manager through King County
- Referrals to various on–campus programs to continue supporting your education
You can enroll at any time. The first step is to sign–up for the information session to see if the LCS program is right for you! Information Sessions are held every Tuesday at 10 a.m. at the Learning Center Seattle (Room 310) in the Seattle Vocational Institute building on the corner of 22nd Avenue and Jackson Street. If you are interested in learning more, please call 206.934.6959 or text 503.451.5276.
If you are unable to attend during this time, please let us know and we will work to find a day and time to meet with you individually.
We are here to support you beyond accomplishing your GED®. In addition to the one–on–one help you'll receive from an Education Advocate, we have built relationships with many support programs at all the Seattle Colleges. Check out some of the Seattle Central College support programs below:
- TRiO Student Support Services
- Multicultural Services
- Student Parent Support Program
- Women's Programs
- College Success Program
- English as a Second Language (ESL/ELL) programs
Learning Center Seattle was developed as a partnership of Seattle Central College, Seattle Vocational Institute, Seattle Public Schools, United Way of King County, King County, and Seattle Education Access.
Emily Williams, Director of Learning Center Seattle
Located: 6th Floor, 610S
Nick Milhoan, Administrative Assistant III of Learning Center Seattle
Located: 6th Floor, 610
Rondolf De Guzman, Social Services Professional
Located: 6th Floor, 610R
Learn more about the Open Doors 1418 youth reengagement system that supports Learning Center Seattle. Learn more »